Aspect Biosystems Ltd. is an award-winning Canadian start-up developing state-of-the-art 3D bioprinting technology capable of creating living human tissues on demand. Aspect aims to drive a fundamental shift in the pharmaceutical industry by enabling the development of physiologically relevant human tissue models for pre-clinical drug testing, moving away from the use of animals and de-risking customers’ drug assets entering clinical trials. Aspect is a forward-looking company that envisions a future where our technology is used directly to save lives through the creation of personalized therapeutic tissue implants,and we are already making great strides in this area. One day even fully functional printed organs may be possible and there are innumerable opportunities to cure disease and improve lives in the pursuit of that goal.
We have an interdisciplinary and fast-paced team looking for qualified and enthusiastic individuals to help us grow into a flagship Canadian tech company. As an early employee there is significant opportunity for growth and leadership. If you thrive in a team atmosphere and have the drive to grow in one of the most promising start-up companies in Canada, we want to hear from you!
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be a part of Aspect’s Engineering team, focusing primarily on Engineering R&D. They will become part of a high performing multidisciplinary team that includes software, mechanical, microfluidic, biomedical, electrical and chemical engineers.
The top candidate is someone with excellent technical skills and a keen intuition for mechanical and electrical design, someone who learns best by doing and is adept at creating prototypes and testing complex ideas efficiently while being mindful of the user experience, and someone who is naturally curious and passionate about learning.
Core tasks will include:
- Conceive of, build, and test physical prototypes to explore new product features or important technology concepts. This work may include designing physical apparatus’, programming microcontrollers, setting up lasers, photodiodes, cameras and other optical mechanisms, designing microfluidic components, filtering and amplifying sensitive electrical measurements, applying ultrasonic transducers, Peltier elements, valves, pumps, robotic actuators, and similar activities.
- Attain a mastery of Aspects microfluidic bioprinting technology and a deep understanding of its behaviour.
- Develop control systems that may include fluidics, robotics, thermal elements, optics, and electronics.
- Work with the engineering team to productize new technology features and functions.
- Contribute to intellectual property filings.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Engineering or Physics (higher education and/or industry experience are preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to develop systems that include multiple physical elements, such as mechanical, fluidic, electronic, and optical elements.
- Expert level understanding of control systems and their practical implementation.
- Expertise working with and programming microcontrollers.
- Expertise developing, building and using robotic instrumentation.
- Broad expertise in electromechanical systems.
- Excellent understanding of physical first principles and a demonstrated ability to use that understanding to inform design decisions.
- Expertise working with electrical instrumentation such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, arbitrary waveform generators, amplifiers, power supplies, multimeters, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to identify innovative working solutions to problems with challenging constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, results driven, collaborative, and team-oriented. We are looking for individuals who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field, and are passionate about their work and Aspect’s success. We offer competitive compensation packages with excellent opportunities for personal growth.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.