Aspect Biosystems Ltd. is an award winning Canadian startup developing state-of-the-art 3D bioprinting technology with the vision of enabling the creation of human tissues on demand. Aspect aims to drive a fundamental shift in the pharmaceutical industry by enabling the development of physiologically relevant human tissue models for pre-clinical drug testing, moving away from the use of animals and de-risking customers’ drug assets entering clinical trials. Aspect is a forward looking company, and envisions a future where our technology is used directly to save lives through the creation of personalized implantable tissue, and even functional organs.
We have an interdisciplinary and fast-paced team looking for exceptional and enthusiastic individuals to help us grow into a leading global biotech. As an early employee there is significant opportunity for growth and leadership. If you thrive in a team atmosphere and have the drive to grow in one of the most promising startup companies, we want to hear from you.
Roles and Responsibilities
We are looking for someone with excellent hands-on microfluidic device development and commercialization experience. The successful candidate will design, prototype, test, characterize, and productize microfluidic devices for Aspect’s Lab-on-a-Printer 3D bioprinting platform. The Microfluidics Engineer will be part of Aspect’s Product Development Team and will be a core source of microfluidics expertise on the team. Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain expert knowledge of state of the art microfluidic designs, features, fabrication processes, and device architectures
- Conceive, design, fabricate, test, and characterize new microfluidic device prototypes and products
- Identify realistic and innovative solutions to core technical challenges and identify areas for improvement in manufacturing and design of existing products
- Identify and work with third party manufacturers to streamline the product manufacturing supply chain
- Follow and enforce development standards for all designs and work within Aspect’s quality management system
- Elicit product feedback from internal users and engage key stakeholders to define requirements and identify issues
- Maintain rigorous records capturing experimental results, design decisions, design concepts, and other similar technical information
- Become intimately familiar with Aspect’s technology and an expert user of it
- Contribute to patent applications, scientific publications and other written technical content related to microfluidics
- PhD or Masters degree in Engineering (or Bachelors with significant industry experience in engineering research)
- 5+ years of experience in microfluidic engineering research and design, ideally in an industrial setting
- Proficient user of SolidWorks software
- Significant hands-on experience fabricating microfluidic devices using a variety of manufacturing techniques
- Significant experience characterizing, modelling and testing microfluidic devices
- Expert knowledge of commercial microfluidics design and manufacturing practices, and design for manufacturing
- Ability and enthusiasm to engage in and take ownership over all levels of the microfluidics development process
- Strong understanding of the full microfluidic product lifecycle from concept to launch
- Experience designing and working with robotic instruments
- Experience developing electromechanical control systems
- Experience developing novel microfluidic sensing or functional elements
- Experience working with 3D bioprinting technology
The environment at Aspect is fast-paced, results-driven, collaborative and friendly. We are looking for individuals who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field, and are passionate about their work and Aspects success. We offer competitive compensation packages, and flexibility on work hours and vacation.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.