Aspect Biosystems Ltd. is an award-winning Canadian start-up developing state-of-the-art 3D bioprinting technology capable of creating living human tissues on demand. Aspect aims to drive a fundamental shift in the pharmaceutical industry by enabling the development of physiologically-relevant human tissue models for pre-clinical drug testing, moving away from the use of animals and de-risking customers’ drug assets entering clinical trials. Aspect is a forward looking company that envisions a future where our technology is used directly to save lives through the creation of personalized implantable tissue, and even functional organs.
We have an interdisciplinary and fast-paced team looking for qualified and enthusiastic individuals to help us grow into a flagship Canadian tech company. As an early employee there is significant opportunity for growth and leadership. If you thrive in a team atmosphere and have the drive to grow in one of the most promising start-up companies in Canada, we want to hear from you!
Roles and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be a part of Aspect’s interdisciplinary R&D team. Specifically, they will part of a high performing team focused on developing bioprinted orthopaedic implantable tissues with advanced functionalities. They will focus on developing and applying new approaches and technologies to develop high-strength 3D printable, biocompatible and bioactive materials. This position will require extensive experience in the development of rationally-designed “smart” biomaterials and stem cell biology with relevance to orthopaedic tissues. Specific training, particularly on the 3D bioprinting system, will be provided, but the individual will be expected to perform most tasks with minimal of supervision. Core tasks will include:
- Working with senior management and external stakeholders to strategize a detailed development plan for 3D-printed orthopaedic devices, to define specific milestones, goals and timelines.
- Identifying new biomaterial strategies through literature review and interaction with academic and industrial experts.
- Developing biomaterials characterization strategies including implementing appropriate physical, cellular, thermal, morphological, and chemical test methods to assess material “printability”, mechanical and biological performance.
- Performing laboratory-based studies to develop new biocompatible materials for incorporation into Aspect’s bioprinted tissues: including the rational design and synthesis of biocompatible “smart” materials.
- Performing in vitro cellular studies to investigate the interaction of chondrocytes and stem cells with 3D-printed biomaterials.
- Measuring in vitro and in vivo experimental endpoints including but not limited to histology and immunohistochemistry to assess cellular engraftment and differentiation into desired phenotypes.
- Developing GMP processes for the manufacture and testing of biomaterials.
- Working closely with internal researchers and external partners to iteratively improve biomaterial performance based on their data and feedback.
- Ensuring proper documentation of biomaterial development activities.
- Writing test reports on mechanical properties and biocompatibility, in vivo functionality, technology evaluations, and additional materials as required.
- Contributing to scientific publications, conference abstracts, patents,and grant applications.
- Training others on new technologies and processes.
- PhD in chemical engineering or bio-engineering.
- Experience working with chemically and photo cross-linkable polymers, hydrogels thermoplastics, and composite materials.
- Experience developing rationally-designed cross-linkable “smart biomaterials”.
- Experience developing biomaterials that are suitable for orthopaedic tissue applications, including biomaterials that support chondrocyte and fibrochondrocyte differentiation.
- Experience using histology, immuno-histochemistry and fluorescent confocal microscopy to characterise orthopaedic and non-orthopaedic cell phenotype.
- Experience in stem cell or chondrocyte biology; using stem cell-derived 3D cultures to model tissue development and disease is a plus.
- Experience and skill in material characterisation and mechanical testing of biomaterials for orthopaedic applications.
- Experience in a goal-oriented research environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced and self-directed environment, document detailed results, and communicate to peers and customers.
- Attention to detail, organized, and thorough in completing tasks.
- Strong teamwork skills.
The environment at Aspect is fast paced, results driven, collaborative, and team-oriented. We are looking for individuals who bring substantial expertise and competency in their field and are passionate about their work and Aspect’s success. We offer competitive compensation packages with excellent opportunities for personal growth.
Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.